Monday, June 22, 2015

Dutch

Dutch | 10x 8" oil on linen panel Flanegan commission

Dutch, a work in progress
This painting was a gift for Barbara, a dear friend and mentor to many. Her companion, Dutch, is a Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier. He's a precious soul and was a joy to paint.

As artists, once the composition and values of the painting are determined, we're taught to block in the dominant hues before addressing further details. But for me, I can't seem to complete the eyes soon enough. When I'm able to look into the eyes of the subject, it allows for a dialogue and the painting becomes a more collaborative effort. i love painting animals. They're delightfully authentic spirits who greatly enrich our lives.

It was truly an honor to have been commissioned by my generous buds and fellow classmates. Many thanks.

: )

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful painting, and I'm really glad to hear that we don't all paint in a proscribed order. I love how you paint, and this is wonderful.

    XOXOXOXOXOXO Barbara

    ReplyDelete