Tuesday, October 10, 2017

Double Trouble

Birthday Girl | oil on Belgian linen panel | 6" x 12"  Flanegan  commission
Last week a friend and I were talking about projects we've worked on together and about plotting ventures in the future. Then I thought about this painting she commissioned last year and realized I hadn't posted it.

My tendency is to amp up the saturation so this was a welcomed exercise in muting the scene, tightening the values on this cloudy day. The reference photo depicts a race at the Heart of Texas Regatta. The red buoys mark the last 250 meters of the course where many a race is decided, merciless in revealing the fitness of the athletes.

Austin's Lady Bird Lake is a rower's paradise. I was a competitive rower in what seems like a lifetime ago and I miss my crewmates. :)

4 comments:

  1. Beautiful. I'm so impressed that you did this gorgeous piece and forgot to post it. So amazing. Love your work.

    XOXOXOXOXO Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was writing a comment on this on my iPad and it suddenly quit. Love it! I'm glad you posted it, and you must be very proud.

    XOXOXOXOXO Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  3. and your crewmates would love to have you back !

    ReplyDelete