Sunday, January 24, 2010

black sand beaches of panama


6.5" x 10.5" acrylic and oil on blended wood panel | sold

When I was in the military (seems like a lifetime ago) our squadron had a training exercise at Howard AB in Panama. My cohorts and I had a free afternoon one weekend and ventured off base to a secluded beach with black sand...yes, black sand. Seemed another-worldly, more coarse than what I had seen on our shores, like polished micro river pebbles. Truly phenominal.

A couple of you were curious about the blended wood panels. I've shown a side detail in an earlier post, but decided to take a shot of this one as well. Choosing to repurpose as opposed to adding to the landfill, my color studies are composed of spare wood pieces that are bulit up, glued and biscuit joined.


No comments:

Post a Comment